Friday, August 31, 2007

Fruitiness

Well, according to all the purveyors of doom and gloom, after this weekend Summer will be gone and Autumn upon us. Now I don't believe this for a second. In my opinion it's still Summer until it stops being typically warm and, well, summery and Labor Weekend has not a thing to do with this.

It is at this time of year that nostalgic New Englanders (ie all of them) begin to wax lyrical about their favorite time of year, "Fall". They speak of such things as the innocent joys of apple picking - and here I must pause momentarily for a rant.

For those of you in the rest of the world, people in New England actually pay orchards to let them pick the apples... Yes, I do mean that instead of the orchards paying workers to pick the apples, otherwise sane and savvy people pay the orchards for the "pleasure" of being manual laborers. It makes no sense!

OK, rant complete (on that topic at least). So with fruit on my mind I bring you my list of most nostalgia inducing, most missed, and just plain yummiest fruit from home. In no particular order...


1. Feijoas
2. Cape Gooseberries
3. Passionfruit
4. Rhubarb
5. Tamarillos
6. Hmm, did I say Feijoas already :)

Mmmm, fruit...

No comments: